10 October 2013

It's nine past 10

It's nine past ten in the evening and I have just had two meringues and will probably have some of Stephanie's lovely lemon cake when I collect my tea mug in the kitchen in a minute. If this didn't happen fifteen minutes after I returned from a cognac tasting with the House of Hennessy down at the Grainstore it would be of little concern. But it is happening and things are starting to spiral out of control. [To kitchen]

Just look at these pictures and you'll understand! Our teachers are spurring us on in this cake frenzy and put on a competition today. I wasn't baking so there will be reports on neither personal success nor disappointment.

Steph's flowery lemon beauty

Clare's coffee tartan (winner in kitchen 1)
I have also eaten healthy food today and cooked with tomatillas for the first time in my life. I made a tomatilla salsa to go with leftover shredded chicken and deep-fried leftover tortillas from Tuesday's cooking. Epazote, a herb that smells a little bit like diesel, was also a new experience and being a bit suspicious of it I didn't put too much in.

Green tomatillas and epazote waiting to go into the Chilaquiles.
Mashed up with chillies, onion and garlic they are vibrant in colour

I really have to stop now because I still haven't made my order of work for tomorrow and must finish it before bedtime otherwise I will wake up in a cold sweat at around 3am.

No comments:

Post a Comment