1 December 2013

The most humane way

Two live lobsters were boiled in demo on Friday. Rachel assured us that she was going to cook them in the most humane way possible. Nowadays I'm not at all squeamish about these things and I didn't flinch as Emer secured the lid of the pan with two weights to prevent the lively lobsters from upsetting the entire arrangement.

I remember the first time I cooked crayfish. There was both shouting and commotion and I was recently reminded that at one point I even managed to pull down the curtains - accidentally I might add. However, as the crayfish quickly changed from dark brown or grey to bright red we accepted the fact that they had suddenly metamorphosed from living beings into food.

Although I'm unfazed by this particular aspect of being a carnivore the next time I put anything that kicks into a saucepan I will recall Rachel's words about the creatures being lulled to sleep in water slowly brought to the boil, images of sunny rockpools floating through their crustacean minds. 

That's humane enough for both human and crustacean.

Emer Fitzgerald and Rachel Allen - chefs extraordinaire



No comments:

Post a Comment