21 November 2014

Gastro tourism

If you have neither time nor money to travel all the 500 and something kilometers northwest of Stockholm for a memorable meal at Fäviken in Åre you can opt for a more accessible option. I did and it was great. Dinner at restaurant EKSTEDT in Stockholm was a revelation. I'm truly fond of any chef who manages to delight, tickle and surprise. 

From the single oyster on a bed of seaweed to the pigeon served with a smooth charred blood pudding my tastebuds were singing. I was nearly crying for it is a rare chef who combines common sense, inspiration and - what Florrie at Ballymaloe called TLC - Tender Loving Care. 

I will go back. Find a cheap flight, be content with cheap accommodation and then splash out on a proper meal. That's my kind of gastro tourism and while waiting I can look forward to another occasion: the unveiling of my very own bresaola

A bundle of joy that needs at least four
weeks to mature in the larder.

No comments:

Post a Comment